Sunday, September 12, 2010

Answered Prayers

Thank you all so much for your prayers. Paxton had his surgery to close his PDA on Friday and has been doing increasingly well ever since. 

saying bye to Paxton before surgery

The doctors made the first incision and realized it was too low, so they had to make another incision higher up.  Unfortunately, they broke the 4th rib on their way in after collapsing his lung. Paxton "didn't like that" and they had to go up to 100% on his oxygen. The rest of the surgery went well, putting a tiny titanium clamp on his PDA to stop the blood-flow. Paxton was stitched up with a chest tube left in tact to drain the excess fluid, air, and blood completely before sealing things up.  He was sent back up to the NICU and we had to wait a bit to see him while they got everything back in place in his bedspace.

the clamp they used on his PDA...tiny.
first glance post-op, with his new bandages and chest tube on his left.
He really looked just fine, but it's always scary to see him after the OR as he has been given a paralytic to remain motionless and the vent is doing 100% of the breathing for him.  I got a little more nervous as the night went on, expecting things to turn downhill as he would wake up and realize he was in pain, but even then he seemed to remain okay. He would jolt and cry and then calm right down to my voice and touch, something that made me feel so good as his mother, so happy to be right there with him and so wanting to take any and ALL of the pain away!



It took them quite a few blood pokes to get his CO2 to the right place. The biggest concern was his very high blood pressure. After waiting a while to see if it would come down on its own, they gave him a med to control it, which it did steadily. Then they wanted to give him an art line so they could continually measure the pressure of the blood coming out of the heart, but after an hour and a half of poking him and trying to get the IV into an artery, they decided it wasn't going to work. It made us very sad watching him in this process, screaming when they put it in, then turning his face to my hand (which he was squeezing) and trying to endure the pain in the most dignified way he could while they tried to thread it in the right place. I am blown away in these moments by his majesty and ability to brace himself and endure these moments that are so not pleasant to his little body. He is one big amazing spirit in this little fighting body.






Paxton was not able to get really any good sleep. He would drift off until a jolt or deep breath would hurt his lung or body and then he would cry for a moment before being calmed back down. On and off all day. When one of our primary nurses came back on Saturday night she agreed with my feelings and gave him some more medicine to help him sleep. Yeah! He needed it. Since then Paxton has just done better and better. His vent settings have been able to come down, with everything almost to where it was before surgery. We haven't noticed any notable improvements FROM the surgery but hopefully that will come in the days and weeks ahead. Right now his kidneys are trying to deal with the extra blood flow they are now trying to filter to the rest of his body. They will do another echo on his heart soon and see if any further changes need to be made. 

So thank you, thank you for your prayers and help this weekend. It was big and I was exhausted. It takes so much out of you to see them in these situations. I began to get a little glimpse of what it must have been like for the Father, and how at several of the most painful and critical moments of Jesus' life, He had to withdraw His Spirit. I always sort of thought that was because the Father thought it was something the Savior had to do himself, but through these experiences I am beginning to wonder if it was more because it was all the Father could do to not stop the suffering of His son, Himself. It was too much for even Him to bear, and He couldn't ruin the plan by stopping it. I can't even imagine. I just know there are moments I have been at such a contradiction of wanting to be there to help my son bear this burden and pain he is going through, if there is anything I can do I don't want to be even an arms' length away; and yet it is so painful to watch, I either want to push everyone away and stop everything they are doing to my son, or go collapse in the chair because I just can't watch it any longer. It's too painful. I know it probably sounds so melodramatic to each of you, but to me it is so real and so difficult in there with him. I want to be with him every second, and yet it becomes almost too much for me myself. I hate my human nature for that reason and wish I never had to sleep, that I didn't live 50 minutes from his bed, that I didn't have to get home to schedules or any other commitments or timelines. I TRULY wish with all my heart that I could be by his side 100% of the time. And yet I know I am a mom to two other boys, too, and it would be good if they could have some good time with their one and only mom as well, with energy to hold them and play with them and love them without being so drained or tired that I can't put up with the noise or whining. Oh, to be a mom! And that's why I say thanks to you all for your prayers and help this weekend. I was at my max. And because of others' love and willingness to shoulder the burden and be so flexible and willing, I was able to crash last night in a desperate way! Thank you, thank you for all of your support. We are being truly blessed and helped so much in this time. I know things will get better and happy days are ahead again. So thank you from all of us to all of you. Thank you for helping our little Paxton to heal and us to be with our Paxton.  We love you all!

our Paxton last night, improving with every day.





11 comments:

Tiffany Fairbanks said...

Oh Shannon! I just love you and your family. I think of you all and pray for each of you. It seems like it's all I can do and yet I feel like it's the most important thing to do.
You are amazing! You should know that and feel all the respect I have for you. Precious Paxton is blessed and will always be blessed.

Mindy Widdowson said...

Your honesty is a source of strength and perspective. Thank you for inspiring me to not take one moment with my kids for granted!

Paxton is a true Norton...he is handling what has been dealt with dignity and grace! What a fighter!!!

Thank you for finding the energy to keep posting! It is so wonderful to hear about all of his triumphs!
Love,
Mindy

Kimberly Hammond Norton said...

Sweet Shan, I didn't even know all that you had been through Friday and Saturday! That is a heavy load to bear. And no, nothing you said sounded one bit melodramatic, it just made me want to cry knowing that I would have those same feelings and also knowing how difficult that must be. Sweet little Paxton, I can't believe that his lung collapsed and a rib was broken....little angel boy fighting through it all. Thank you for sharing your quiet most poignant thoughts. Love you all so much and would do anything for you.

Summer said...

So beautifully written and so very true, from another mom who's been through it :) Knowing the Savior suffered everything and more that our little boys have and do, help me to know He fully understands what they are going through and can offer them the best comfort possible! We love you and continue to pray for Paxton and his special family!!!
Love,
Mason's Mommy

Mary Peterson said...

Oh, Shannon! I am so grateful that Paxton's surgery went well. Thank you for sharing the details and your beautiful thoughts. Your understanding of part of what the Father must have felt bring tears to my eyes- thank you for sharing that. We are praying with you. I admire you and your family and Paxton so much. I love you.

Mary

Kami said...

How Emotional! It makes me emotional just reading what you are experiencing. I wish there was something really encouraging I could tell you... but every time I try to write something Makell keeps grabbing my face and wanting me to watch what she is doing, so hang in there. ttyl

Koeberleins said...

Shannon I don't know you but I have been reading your blog for the last two hours and I wanted to tell you that you are an amazing women and paxton is so blessed to have you as his mother! Both of my children were in the NICU for 4 months (at different times) it was the hardest thing i have ever had to do! I will be praying for you and your family that this all ends soon for you!

KatieKaseyBrielle said...

Shannon, I have really enjoyed reading all of the posts on your sweet, precious little Paxton. I am happy to hear that he seems to be doing very well, and that this surgery was a success!! I just want you to know that we are often thinking of you guys and keep you in our prayers!
Love,
Katie

Alison said...

Shannon...you have an amazing family and are such a great mom! I know at our weakest moments, the Lord can strengthen us when it seems we can't bare anything a moment longer. Hang in there...you have an amazing spirit! And I see that reflected in your boys...all three!
luvya!

Ashley C. said...

praying for you!!! sending love your way....

so glad the surgery went well. Love you.

Unknown said...

You are an AMAZING mother to SWEET Pax!! I often think of how you must be feeling and you amaze me with your strength! Paxton is an amazing fighter I know that he is able to and wants to for his loving mommy who is always there for him. I know he loves you and Dave so much and you guys give him so much love and stength to endure. Girl I want to take any wait off of you whenever please let me know what I can do! We love you all so much! Dave you are so amazing too! Give Pax hugs and kisses for us!